In 1847, Toronto was a city of 20,000 until 38,000 Irish immigrants arrived that summer. On June 21, 2007, this memorial to the Irish Famine was opened at Eireann Quay by Mary McAleese, president of Ireland. The park was inspired by Rowan Gillespie's "Departure" series of famine figures, which stand on Dublin's Liffey quayside, depicting Irish emigrants looking out to sea. There is also a memorial in the park to the more than 1,100 who died just after their arrival; their names will be inscribed in a limestone wall.
No reviews found. Be the first to review this place.